Monday, October 5, 2009

oh i want to learn to tie a tie.

I am, much to my delight, realizing that people I used to get sort of crusty over I now find to be absolutely amazing.
By crusty I mean I was intimidated so I nitpicked.
Which X. Moving right along.
NOTHING REALLY EVER HAPPENS ON MAD MEN.
This does not preclude me in any way from sitting here in the den staring with fascination at an episode from Season Two with commentary wherein the director speechifies on the appropriate length of paddle ball elastic.
Also- important someone remind me- I tasted something called Woodchuck Beaver Beer or something last night, and liked it very much. I would like to try this again.
I want my hair to look like women's hair looked in the forties. Or sixties.
So this reading. I think is extremely well cast. I know almost no one in the reading, which makes me feel as though I am doing a production in another country.
Maggie and I noted tonight that we have never before been in a show with so many solidly good-looking boys who are straight. (Some of which have very nice upper arms.)
They sit around and have handstand competitions and mumble and console each other about their various sports franchises.
We sit in our chairs and scan the room taking in all the attributes surrounding us and feel as though we are in the exotic animal display at the National Zoo.
Tomorrow, in preparation for looking teenaged and woeful, I will be straightening my hair. I will be rising at 5 am to begin.
Pig Pen: this is a boy who I know because he has a habit of overindulging with his "w's," and once upon a time while participating in a reading with me got so absorbed in his performance that he knocked a music stand off the stage using his forehead. Blood. This boy is white, but when he begins the scene is immediately black and Eminem all at once. This I find impressive. Also his tan boots.
Beethoven: is a tall, slender boy who wears those long jean cut off shorts that are all the rage now among the hip theater young folk. He is quiet and friends with Maggie and has one of those faces that you are pretty sure all girls think is VERY ATTRACTIVE. His legs appear to be very white and very functional.
Jacob: I do not know this boy outside of this reading, but I think he is my friend on facebook. He is very slight. Is kind of how I imagine a very sweet gentle woodland creature would look were this woodland creature a human. He IS that character. He is soft-spoken and has a nice nose and reminds me of Paul and has lots of shiny floppy hair. I am pretty sure BC had this boy made to order for this role. The name of which I can't remember at the moment.
The Charlie Brown Boy: Is VERY cute. All are in agreement. Looks like George Clooney when he smiles. And can sure throw a chair at a wall in such a way as to make me excited about popsicles and old pie crust. He gave me a granola bar. Which I graciously accepted.
Um. Do not really remember who else.
Is Margaret, who, whatever.
Is a girl named Gabby? Presley? Monka? She has hair like me which inspires me have whispered conversations in the second row with Maggie as to how I can acquire golden sheep princess eyelash hair like Maggie and Aly and less hair like this other girl. This girl is going to wear red glasses and a red headband and a red mouth as her costume.
Marcia? Trixie? Some character: is played by Aly. Aly is most lovely. I think she looks like the Miss Sunbeam doll I had when I was little. (This is the girl on the bag of bread, for those who are not well versed in small town breadstore propaganda.) Is blond shiny hair, blue doll eyes, all those bits about the face that the pretty girls have.
Monka, Aly, Bleeding Forehead and Small Ferret Man all have a scene in which they discuss a lot of food.
This has led me to put it out there that we make a cast trip to Denny's tomorrow night post show.
I ate a SALAD today. Am currently obsessed with salad. Also peppers. I know. I think I might be getting a little carried away.
Then went and watched The Debra get stabbed in the throat. This was not something that should ever happen.
The Debra, Drifty and I adjourned post lunch to Peebles where I got smacked a lot for saying things like, "we should look for dresses to wear to the Ratcocks!" SMACK. Each time I mentioned the Ratcocks, a smart swat on the shoulder from the Debra, who rightly felt that I was probably offending all of the elderly church-going Colonial Heights women who were shopping for festive scarecrow sweaters.
Anyway, I've been up for a very long time. Tomorrow I am going to WORK. I want to better my golf game. And to go to some of these sharp looking new restaurants/pubs that I see tucked into various nooks in the fan.
The fan, as it happens, smells like beef jerky tonight.


8 comments:

Sparky said...

Started to comment...decided to write a blog post all about you, roller skates, and a nameless crotch. And no, I have not been drinking. Have fun reading - althoguh it's not a fraction as entertaining as your epistles.

Audra said...

wait, i don't know how to get to your blog. and i WANT TO.

debra said...

I'm a follower of your blog now! mmmwwhaahahahahaha! I also have no objection to the term "Ratcock". I just kept picturing my 74yr old mother scolding me. Which in turn, made me scold you. It was completely reflexive. Although my Mom would have laughed while she was scolding. She has a good sense of humor.

And, I would LOVE to assist you in finding a dress for this year. I had a ball being your personal shopper last year. Truly. :-)

Sparky said...

It's easy to find...just click on Matty's picture & when you get my profile, just click on "acquainted with the night"

Thespis' Little Helper said...

And Audra wore a pink belt of very tall proportions. And was...ummm...amazing.

Brett said...

Woodchuck Cider? It's like beer but sweeter. I fed you that once and you did not care for it. But then again, you're at least a few years older than you were last year...

Janine Serresseque said...

I will teach you how to tie a tie. I can do a regular necktie and a bow tie. Your title has absolutely nothing to do with the content of your post, so I feel I must at least give a nod to your title.

Audra said...

Janine- you are on.
Brett- perhaps nigh on a decade. nigh. you like that don't you.