Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Shucks the kitten.

Well, the beach.
We were off to a energetic start two hours later than we'd planned on. I was not a bit surprised by this. We nearly lost the passenger side door and half of Adam when we narrowly avoided a sideswipe from a round Muslim woman the color of driftwood wearing crocs outside of the UPS store in Carytown.
Then it was decided we wanted something to drink. I suggested 7-11. I was the only member of the party willing to purchase coffee from 7-11. Joseph feels he is being the opposite of pretentious by refusing to do so. So we decide on a trendy little appropriately pretentious coffee shop in Carytown where everyone except me purchases danishes and sandwiches and iced coffee. Joseph purchased 3 large sweet teas. I said nothing about this.
So we squish into the backseat. I read a book about an elephant named Modoc who was very sweet and got a bull hook in her eye.
We take one violently wrong turn by a 7-11 in North Carolina which took us straight into Surry Co., VA. Then we turned around.
Arrived at the beach FAR TOO EARLY. We went to eat lunch at some little restaurant where a woman worked behind the bar who is from Hopewell and knows my mother and Sam.
Bought my brother a t-shirt from The Black Pelican as the one he bought when he was 10 is now a little worn.
Go by the rental office to see if we can have the key three hours early. Cannot. Decide to drive by and see the house and walk on the beach while we wait. We arrive on the beach. Adam has to pee instantly. We leave. Go to Wings for the peeing. While in Wings I purchase a large beach towel with a black horse on it because I thought I forgot my large sunshine towel. Didn't. Also purchased for $12.00 one of those seven foot inflatable killer whales to ride on. Used to love blowing those up when I was little. It seemed to impress everyone and make them say things like, "We always knew Audra was full of hot air." Which I remember thinking probably wasn't a very nice thing to say, but still, I had just blown up a freaking shark.
So I blow up some of the whale and then Joseph takes it and becomes very light-headed and says nothing that makes any sense for half an hour.
Named him Shamova as the instructions printed on his belly are in Russian. He's talking more and more every day.
But anyway, we finally get into the house. Which is like the Golden Girls house if all the rooms were in a stack on top of each other.
The water is cold. Which in the past would have completely immobilized me but for some reason this time I don't mind.
The tanning competition is going well. Joseph and I are pretty much neck and neck, though at the moment he is gaining some ground because I am at the house waiting for Sam to arrive.
We've all agreed that the woman playing "Wednesday" in the Nuvaring birth control commercial is really a stand-out.
Joseph and I have gotten into a big fight about polar bear preservation. Which I think is for now just shelved and will be brought up with gusto when we are in the nursing home.
Maggie keeps making egg salad.
Adam and I do lots of crossword puzzles.
Perry catches me lots of little crabs on the beach for me to play with.
I have so far nudged and picked up a jellyfish. An x jellyfish. Today hope to slice one up.
We have gone on many evening beach walks. Beach sits.
I threw the porch table over the side of the building.
This morning I came downstairs and there was a box of fresh hot Duck Donuts. At Duck Donuts, they dunk the donuts in the frosting of your choice right in front of you.
Oh, yesterday Adam spotted a whole slew of dolphins not very far from shore. They were jumping and circling all around a man in a kayak.
Also we are making a list of fabulous future kitten names that we will randomly come up with throughout the day. I will post this list after vacation.

No comments: