Thursday, September 3, 2009

National Geographic

Well, I stayed up until 4:30 in the morning last night, slept til noon on the button and then got up, at my toast sitting in the window, and washed my hair as planned.

Then I got on- oh wait- first, some orbish older man comments to me from in front of the laundromat, "that's quite the ensemble." And this was not a compliment. And I was frankly a little surprised by this. I am wearing something relatively low-key, for me, and there are people walking around this city wearing boots made of tuna fish, pleather panties and aluminum foil.

But anyway, I got on the 7 and rode it for days and days until suddenly the rows of hot brick graffiti-ed buildings cleared and there was an enormous parking lot full of cars, surrounded by trees, and a huge baseball stadium. And then more trees. And you get off the subway, and walk down this half-mile wooden gangplank where it is breezy and beautiful and at the base of this gangplank you arrive at the US Open.

Just because you arrive at the US Open in no way means that you discover the entrance to the US Open.

I hadn't decided if I wanted to pay money to go watch some people play that I hadn't heard of, so I consulted a map of this area and discovered it was a park. Complete with ice rink and many lakes. So I decide to make a circle starting in the opposite direction from the tennis courts. And I walk and walk. Find some dirty looking lakes, but then a huge round lake surrounded by Canada geese. I walked in a circle around this lake, and then off toward this giant metal sculpture I could see the top of over the trees.

Throughout this park are millions of Latino boys on bicycles.

The metal sculpture turns out to be an enormous model of the world held up over top of hundreds of those fountains that spurt out of the ground so children can play in them. Except I don't know if children are the appropriate objects to be playing in this strong of a fountain. I might recommend moose.

I watch many toddlers run laughing into the water, and then do a pivot turn and run screaming away from it.

You will get drenched in this water.

I read the plaque in front of this statue. This statue is created in honor of world peace and steel. Or something.

So then I decide I might as well try and see how much it costs to get in. I accidentally go to two baggage checks before myself and a kind middle-aged man manage to find the actual box office.

He was very nice. I asked him who his favorites were and he said he really liked Maria Sharapova because she is modest.

I discover that it costs more than I am prepared to spend to go in, and decide that it is plenty good enough just to go and see where they play. So I take a picture for my parents and get back on the train. Which I take to Grand Central Station and get off.

Which I have never done before, and let me tell you, I am so glad I did.

Because this part of New York, which I guess you refer to as the Middle East (and even if you don't, that's what I am going to refer to it as from now on), is by far the most appealing to me so far. It is sort of quiet and pretty, with big buildings, but not tons of traffic or people and some trees. I think there were some UN buildings over there. I heard an elderly woman with jet-black hair discussing how she was going to play tennis later today with Mr. Warbucks.

I walked by a playground, sent Tom a riddle in a text message which he figured out right away, thus ruining my entire afternoon, and had a footrace with a pigeon up 1st Ave. between 43rd and 44th.

It was close until he began cheating.
And Maggie- I FOUND THE QDOBA.
I found the best Barnes & Noble up here with huge windows that overlook the street and the restaurant that is two floors below. I sat at a round table with a sweet older man who didn't really speak English and could scarcely believe it when he asked me if that chair was taken and I smiled and said no. I had to really drill the point home.
Then I got on the subway at the same time as a new mother and her best friend, both of whom were dressed to the nines in flowy striped sundresses and hip shoes. The baby was dressed to the nines as far as I could tell. His stroller was one of those spaceship strollers that is shockingly expensive and has a French brand name. It is a good thing it was a good stroller too, as mom and friend were very involved in their conversation and during that conversation the baby's stroller would roll around the subway car, banging into poles and benches and people. But it's ok. I'm sure that stroller has very expensive bumpers.
My wonderful mother sent me a package of Fiber 1 bars, as I think I have mentioned. It arrived today. I love my mom.
Tonight is Project Runway. And Dexter and Chinese, I have decided.
Hope everyone is not too hot.

3 comments:

Princess Crabass said...

When I lived in the NY (in the mid-1930s), I worked in the Pan Am Building (now MetLife?) and took the subway to Grand Central every day. Go downstairs and get a bagel. They load them up with cream cheese! I ate those every day also - which is why I was too fat to be a chorus girl.

Sparky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sparky said...

I had something brilliant to say & now it's gone..you'll have to take my word for it, since I have what my friend Pat calls CRS - Can't Remember Shit!.

Anyway, sounds like another fun day of adventure for you. I must admit that I would have given into the fear of "OMG! I'm going to get killed/raped/mugged/drugged/sold into slavery way before this point & would have promptly packed my bags & returned to safety below the Mason-Dixon Line. You have a much stouter heart than I & so I'm jealous (that & the fact that you can ride subway without fear of ending up in Boise).

Mags will just have to get over my Evan Rachel Wood thoughts...the scenes were just too bright and plastic for my taste...no where near enough sex & blood! Besides, I'm not the one who gets into bar fights...that's Wengen's territory!