Friday, December 11, 2009

Um, well NOT mauve.

I'm awake.
My throat doesn't hurt at the moment, which makes me hopeful that the "energy work" Dee did to my head yesterday has been a success. I've never had anything like that done to me before, but am game for any new activity, so I stood still while she put her hands on my throat and back and thought healing thoughts at me.
I was pretty sure I had ruined the whole thing though, because she started out by telling me to envision a coiling tube of three different colored lights beaming into the top of my head. She instructed me as to what two of the colors were, and then told me to make the third color whatever color I find to be the most soothing.
So I say confidently, "Ok!."
She begins. I have lied with my confident "Ok" because I know that whenever anyone asks me to pick a favorite anything or dream role or pretty much any question in general, my mind goes into a tizzy and cannot come up with one answer, or any answer, and I seem to know nothing whatever about what my opinions are.
So I spend the whole time trying to decide on a color. I think of soothing gray aluminum first, because whenever I am sick or nauseous for some reason thinking of hard metal tables that are cool and hard and flat and shiny makes me feel better.
But then I think, no, maybe green.
Then, no- some sort of baby blue
Then, well f$*## it, Audra, I'm sure you've ruined the whole thing by now and instead of your throat feeling better it is going to start sprouting potatoes or something.
But it seems to have worked a bit. So we'll see.
Thanks, Dee.
Then I went home and found Adam and Maggie watching "Elf." I watch for a bit and realize that this is just a movie starring Matt Shofner as Leaf Coneybear.
Maggie is sprinkling organic powdered sugar on a fresh batch of those cookies I mentioned.
I tuck Betty's face into the crook of my elbow and wander around the house supporting her only from that point. I am curious to see how long she will put up with such ill treatment.
Indefinitely is apparently the answer.
Oh- there really is nothing you can't do with duct tape. I tried.
I begin telling Adam a story and then look up to catch him standing framed in the kitchen archway holding my loaf of wheat bread with a look of incredulous hurt and disappointment on his face. I wonder what have I done. This look says, "Audra. AUDRA. How could you ever think you could or should bring a loaf of wheat bread into this house and not be caught?"
I ask him what in the world is wrong.
He beckons me over. I see now that my loaf has grown a Christmas sweater. A lime green, mohair Christmas sweater.
Which is really too bad as I had two pieces of toast two days ago for breakfast and probably ate the sleeves. Cause it's dark in here in the mornings and who knew.
Today the big trip to Burlington Coat Factory is happening. For the most delightful tacky Christmas sweaters we can find. I'll keep you posted.
Also Joseph is coming to town to be in the math show at the Barksdale. Very excited.
There should never be crunching noises when cats bathe themselves down there.
Betty.



1 comment:

Joy W. said...

a lady waited for me today to show me she'd duct taped the inside of her purse.
i'm going to look around my house for more house repairs with duct tape. i support this idea wholeheartedly.